Lando Norris Makes Career First Podium Appearance In Austrian GP


Lando Norris, previously an unfamiliar name on the podium, broke even to register his name on the podium of the Red Bull circuit. Thanks to the revised calendar over the delay caused by the coronavirus virus pandemic. 

McLaren had a piece of the race with the British driver coming out to be the third quickest after Lewis Hamilton bagged penalty on the grid for colliding with Alex Alton. Norris likewise was given a penalty with few laps remaining but held on to make the podium. 

"I'm speechless. There were a few points where I thought I'd fudge it up a bit...but I managed to get past Perez and end up on the podium! I'm so happy and so proud of the team," he wrote in a tweet.

Norris was strongly contested against by Carlos Sainz his McLaren teammate and Sergio Perez and yet held off the pair despite penalty to clinch his first career podium appearance. 
 
"The last few laps, when I had to get past Checo, I knew he had a five second penalty but nothing more than that," he recalled. "I always seemed to struggle when I was close to the cars ahead and more vulnerable to the guys behind."

However, Norris had shown strong contest in the qualifying, thus, it did not happen for him by chance having started in P3. Besides the performance shown on the grid, the 20-year-old also recorded his fastest lap at 1:07.475s during the race.   





Comments